What is Social Support?
Social Support is a community service that aims to help people 65 years and over, or 50 years and over for Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander people, to be independent and live at home for as long as possible.
- To deliver appropriate and effective service based on the individual needs of the client
- To support them to remain living independently in their own homes for as long as possible
- To network with other social support services to collectively address the needs of those who are socially isolated
- Create and maintain up-to-date information for the use of clients, volunteers and other service providers
The Cowra Social Support Service offers the following:
- Visits, outings, luncheons etc
- Friendly visits
- Assistance with shopping or bill paying
- Card or letter writing
- Group activities
- Access to the community, such as transport to local medical appointments
This list is by no means exhaustive and individual services may be provided in consultation with the client. Services offered are dependent on volunteer availability. Social support does not provide personal care, nursing, transport beyond service limits or meals.
Social Support programs are organised by the service Coordinator, and implemented by volunteers. Volunteers undergo a strict screening process prior to commencing work with us.
Who is eligible to receive this service?
People who are 65 years and over, or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander with functional disability.
Referrals must be made through My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. Alternatively you can call the co ordinator who can assist you to contact My Aged Care.
This includes those with dementia or from different cultural backgrounds who have difficulty carrying out the tasks of daily living.
- Services can only be provided to those people who have been assessed through My Aged Care as needing them
- Services are provided without discrimination
- Your access to our services may be prioritised or you may be placed on a waiting list
- Service is reliant on volunteer availability
How do you run this service?
Cowra Social Support is funded by Dept. of Health for our Commonwealth Home Support Programme (over 65 years, or 50 years for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people).
How much does this service cost?
- A minimal fee is charged for shopping, outings and local transport
- You will not be excluded from receiving Social Support if you cannot afford to pay.
For further information about Social Support please contact us.
Our service would not exist today without the time, energy, commitment and enthusiasm of people just like you. Individuals who choose to take a little time from busy schedules to volunteer.